Monday, May 28, 2012

Holidays

It's always a little bit different being outside the US, when you know that everyone back home is off of work, relaxing, and spending time together. Today was no different. This morning I saw many posts of thanks to our wonderful troops, which later turned into many posts of friends by the water (lake, pool and ocean). I commented to Jane (staff member here for 2 months), that we should make our own Memorial Day celebration. While, that didn't happen, we did have an interesting day!

The last week and a half I have been trying to teach Jane and Matt, all they will need to know to run the house for a month while I am gone. Jane decided she needed one more training session with me at the supermarket! We decided to make a day of it and we stopped to eat in Petionville, before getting our groceries. I decided to take them to the Funky Monkey (a latte sounded good). Jane parked, we went in and ate and returned outside...only to find that our truck was not there. Jane comments to me "I promised I locked it." I searched around the corner, like an idiot, like somehow it moved itself. As we were searching, there were 3 men across the street laughing at us. The proceeded to tell me the police took our car. So we walked the half mile or so to the police station. I guess I didn't really know what to say, I hadn't really practiced any of the words for a police station, it isn't something I use often. I finally muttered enough words, that the police officer outside, pointed me inside. Again, I explained that someone, I think the police, took our car. Finally we found the car. We were told that Jane was parked improperly...(I'm not sure how the other 4 weren't) and we needed to pay a fine to get our vehicle back! I paid the fine and 20 minutes later we were on the road to the market! Thank goodness it was nothing more or a stolen vehicle.

We did have some Memorial Day celebrations. We sat on the roof in the sun for an hour. Then it was back to work, only to find out we are losing 100v of power, from our pole to our electrical box...Looks like we get to run a new wire underground!! Should be fun to fix!!


No comments:

Post a Comment