Friday, February 3, 2012

{Friday Favorites} - February 3

Yesterday marked 8 months in Haiti for me. I can't believe how fast the time as gone and how much as happened in the last 8 months. It's hard to put into words what all God has been teaching me, as there have been many lessons. However, I think the lesson I am continually learning is, I'm only adequate through His strength.

Laura and I were talking today about the video my church did before I left. God used my brokenness for teenage girls, women and the children of Haiti to get me here. However, that is not how he used me (I realize I still have at least 16 months in Haiti and he still could use me to do this). He has used me to be the leader on the ground here. I've had very little time to train teachers or to develop strong relationships with women. I'm leading in a country, that by nature is very Machismotic, which has added some difficulties. I've had some many moments over the last 8 months, where I have had to get on my knees and ask God to show up because it is more than I can handle, it's more than I can do. 

I've been reading the book, "Kisses from Katie" by Katie Davis, and she described this feeling so well. 
            "Remember, God will never give you more than you can handle. People repeat this frequently; I heard it when I was group up and I hear it now. It is meant to be a source of encouragement, and it would be if I believed it were grue. But I don't. I believe that God totally, absolutely, intentionally gives us than we can handle. Because this is when we surrender to Him and He takes over, proving Himself by doing the impossible in our lives."

She's right. Those moments where I have surrendered, God has showed up and proved the impossible. He has blessed our ministry beyond words, so much so, we don't even know what or how it is going to all get done....but He does. 

I've struggled this week. Struggled to see how he is using me, when all it seems like I do is plan. How the planning is advancing his kingdom. I've struggled with what my roll is in helping the poor. Do I feed people? Do I find jobs? What is my roll? 

I don't have the answers, but I'm surrendering. I'm asking Him to show up and make it clear!

I know this hasn't been much of a Friday's favorites, but I needed to share what the Lord has been teaching me. So this Friday, I'm showing you my favorite photo from every month I've been in Haiti. 

June - Girl at Tree of Life Orphanage. 

July - Roselane...I miss this girl :)

August...getting my hair braided during a soccer game. 

September...Kids in Bellvue watching the soccer match...some got to Maxo's school

October - Day at the beach...my friends Billy and Zicot

November - Olympics day...Wilby

December - The kids of OLTCH

January - We got engaged!!! Love Him!!
Hope you have a great week!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment